Weekend of September 29th

Last updated: September 29, 2021

Sunny skies are gracing the Catskills this week. Over the weekend, sun, mixed with a chance of rain Sunday will be in store for the area. Trails will still be muddy in places and temperatures are slowly becoming cooler. Be sure to stick to trails and walk directly through mud puddles to reduce trail widening impacts.

Trail Conditions: Sunny skies are gracing the Catskills this week. Over the weekend sun, mixed with a chance of rain Sunday will be in store for the area. Trails will still be muddy in low sections of trail and temperatures are slowly becoming cooler. Leaves are beginning to fall throughout the region making for slippery and challenging terrain on top of the wet trails. Prepare for your hike with boots, ankle gaiters, and trekking poles to ensure easy travel through the middle of muddy sections.

Don’t let the sunny skies fool you, the Catskills have recieved a lot of rain making for wet and muddy trails. This combined with leaves and pine needles, will make for very slippery trails through the weekend.

Weekend Weather Forecast (reporting for Mt. Tremper, NY): Friday, sunny, with a high near 65. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Friday Night, mostly clear, with a low around 44. Saturday, mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Saturday Night, a chance of showers after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Sunday, a chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Sunday Night, a chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

(Source: National Weather Service, NOAA)

I Love NY Fall Foliage Report:

Fair warning: leaves are quite muted in color this year. Call the Catskills Visitor Center for more information.

Hunting Season Notices: Early season is in effect, consider wearing bright colored clothing while hiking. NEW Deer and Bear Hunting Opportunities and Requirements for 2021

1. Antlerless-only deer season in mid-September (9/11 – 9/19/2021) using firearms, crossbows, and vertical bows in WMUs 3M, 3R, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8J, 8N, 9A, and 9F, and using only vertical bows in WMUs 1C, 3S, 4J, and 8C. DMPs and DMAP tags only.

2. Daily hunting hours for deer and bear extended to 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset.

3. Hunters must wear a fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink hat or vest when hunting deer or bear with a firearm.

4. Antlerless harvest allowed again during the early muzzleloader season in Northern Zone WMUs 6A, 6F, 6J.

5. Bear season in the Adirondacks is simplified by extending the regular season to cover the full hunting period.

6. 12- and 13-year old hunters may hunt deer with a firearm or crossbow in counties that passed a local law to participate in the opportunity. See Junior Big Game Hunting for a map of participating counties.

7. Holiday Deer Hunt is an extension of the late bow and muzzleloader season from December 26 – January 1 in the Southern Zone.

Trail Register Information: (the books found inside metal boxes at the start of all hiking trails): The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation encourages all visitors to continue to sign in and out at trail registers. These provide important information on trail usage and hiker safety.

Catskills Visitor Center: in Mt. Tremper, NY is open from 9:30-4pm, every day. Staff members are also answering phone calls at 845-688-3369. Visitor Center trails are open. Over the weekend the Upper Esopus Fire Tower Cab is open to the public during open hours.

Temporary Closures: The following destinations are closed in the Catskills. For any information or clarification, please feel free to call (845) 688-3369 or email info@catskillcenter.org:

– DEC has temporarily stopped issuing permits for backcountry camping for groups of 10 or more (link to: the DEC’s website). As of June 11, the DEC resumed issuing permits for groups of fewer than 10 people who would like to stay for more than three nights at one location on state lands. DEC is also temporarily restricting lean-to use to members of a single household at a time.

*511NY road closure map (updated daily)

*Catskills Trail Conditions Facebook Group (updated regularly by locals and visitors to the area)

*Catskills 3500′ Club Facebook homepage with updates

Doubletop and Graham Access: As of Wednesday, January 13th 2021 public access to the two peaks, Doubletop and Graham Mountain has ended. We at Catskill Center are thankful to the landowners who have made their property accessible to hikers for many years and respect their decision. The Catskill 3500′ Club has decided that the remaining 33 peaks will make up the collection of Catskill mountains to be hiked for membership of the club.

Peekamoose Blue Hole: Permits are not required at this time. Permits are required every day during the week to access the entirety of the Peekamoose Valley Riparian Corridor during the permit season. This includes day hike access to Peekamoose and Table Mountains, camping, access to the Blue Hole, and Buttermilk Falls. DEC permits are required to visit this site from May 15 – September 15. Permits can be acquired from the Reserve America website at: https://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com

Fall Time Hiking Tips:

– Trekking poles, boots, and gaiters are useful to keep dirt and ticks out of your boots. Finish each hike or excursion outdoors with a thorough tick check.

– Fall brings with it slick and hard to see trails. Be prepared to take your time on these trails to avoid personal injury.

– Keep a close eye and ear to encroaching weather and prepare by bringing rain gear on all hikes. Consider bringing a water filter on longer hikes.

– Temperatures will get quite cold overnight. Bringing a full clothing layering system with you in your pack is essential for day hikes and overnight hikes. This includes non-cotton layers, warm hat, gloves, and a “puffy” – an insulated jacket that’s easy to take on and off throughout your hike.

Recreate Responsibly: An informative new set of guidelines put together by several outdoor organizations. The Catskill Center recommends following the Recreate Responsibly principles and taking precautions before, during, and after your outing.

Carry It In, Carry It Out: The Catskill Park is a carry it in, carry it out park—please be sure to hike out all of your trash and dispose of it properly!

Weather: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions in the Catskills. Stay current with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast. The NY Mesonet has stations in and just outside of Catskills that provide real time weather data and forecasts. Hudson Valley Weather provides detailed forecasts for the Hudson Valley and the Catskills.

In An Emergency: Report backcountry emergencies, such as lost or injured hikers and forest fires to the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-408-5850 or call 911.

The Congressman Maurice D. Hinchey Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) hosts a weather station in the MesoWest Network. Check the current weather conditions. The Center is located at 5096 Route 28 in Mt Tremper, NY. The Visitor Center building is currently closed, however trails remain open. Please remember to socially distance when visiting the CVC’s trails by giving other visitors 6 feet minimum distance and wearing a mask when you meet others.

Email us at the Catskills Visitor Center: info@catskillcenter.org, or call us at (845) 688-3369.

The Center’s online store carries trail maps, trail guides and more for purchase.

Most Recent Trail Update | NYSDEC Catskill Backcountry Info | CVC Online Gift Shop

3-day forecast

Mount Tremper NY
Clear
56°F
Forecast October 2, 2022
day
Mostly cloudy
58°F
night
Mostly cloudy
39°F
Forecast October 3, 2022
day
Intermittent clouds
59°F
night
Partly cloudy
37°F
Forecast October 4, 2022
day
Mostly cloudy
62°F
night
Partly cloudy
40°F