The Catskills region offers incredible scenic beauty, and a varied landscape with mountains, valleys and waterways ideally suited for finding both big and small game as well as waterfowl. Many state lands are open for hunting and trapping during the appropriate seasons, and private lands can also be used (with advance permission) – follow the links below for more details.
NOTE: Most people ages 12 and older must have a license to hunt (children under 12 years old cannot hunt). Licenses and tags are available in person at the Catskills Visitor Center and many other locations around the Catskills, as well as online. Click here for Hunting License Information. All first-time hunters must pass one or more courses before they can get a hunting license in New York. Visit the Hunter Education page to learn more and find a free course near you.
Turkey hunting is currently in season in the Catskills from May 1st through May 31st. Hunters and other outdoor recreationists should wear blaze orange clothing, hats, vests, or other apparel to be seen and avoid wearing red, blue, and white clothing.New York State Map with Hunting Season Dates on the NYSDEC's Website
Start your hunting adventure at the Catskills Visitor Center!
Before you head out in the streams and fields of the Catskills, stop at the Catskills Visitor Center where you can find:
- Sporting Licenses – purchase and pick up your hunting license/permit and tags on the spot (must have already passed Hunter Education course).
- Guides & Maps – we carry a wide variety of free printed materials including the current hunting regulations, maps and guides.
- Gear – our shop is stocked with outdoor safety basics, detailed trail maps, snacks and more. We can also direct you to nearby sporting goods & rental shops.
- Trip planning advice – need help mapping out your route? Just ask!
- Events – our popular annual events like Catskills Trout Tales and Outdoors Day offer great opportunities to meet and learn from experts and get more familiar with all that the Catskills have to offer. We also regularly host one-time workshops, lectures, and guided adventures on our property. Keep an eye on our events page for details.
Season Updates & Current Trail Conditions
On our Trail Conditions page we offer hunting season updates as well as current trail condition reports around the Catskills.