Weekend of March 24th.

Last updated: March 24, 2022

You know what they say about spring showers! There is a chance of precipitation expected throughout the weekend, be prepared with waterproof boots, raingear, and gaiters. Spring is finally here, And along with it the spring rain. 

This week’s Trail Conditions: Expect trails to be wet and muddy. Higher elevations are still seeing quite a bit of ice, so don’t take the microspikes out of your pack just yet.  Rain is expected throughout most of the weekend. Be sure to prepare with a waterproof shell, boots, and gaiters. Gaiters can help you to walk through muddy or wet trail sections, rather than trying to go around these sections. This will prevent trail widening, especially during the spring when the ground is extra sensitive to erosion. Temperatures will be fairly mild this weekend. Always be sure and pack some extra layers, and remember to avoid cotton during these rainy cool days.  

Sunrise is at 6:53 am and sunset at 7:13 pm. With the increased snowmelt and precipitation please be advised that some roads could potentially flood. Always check local conditions before heading out to your destination. 

Photo by Jenny Flavin

Weekend Weather Forcast (reporting for Mt. Tremper, NY): Thursday: A slight chance of showers before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 47. East wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Thursday Night: Rain, mainly before 5am. Low around 40. Light and variable wind becoming north around 5 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. Friday: A slight chance of rain before 8am, then a slight chance of showers after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 56. West wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Friday Night: A slight chance of showers before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. West wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Saturday: Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 50. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Saturday Night: Rain showers likely before 5am, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers between 8am and 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. (Source: National Weather Service.gov)

Catskills Fire Tower Challenge 2022: the DEC has announced the return of the Catskill Fire Tower Challenge for 2022! Starting on January 1st, 2022, and going through December 31st, 2022, hikers can earn a prize and a certificate for completing all six of the fire towers in the Catskill Park: Overlook, Red Hill, Balsam Lake, Mount Tremper, Hunter, and the Upper Esopus. Learn more by visiting the Catskill Fire Tower Project website and the DEC’s Fire Tower Challenge website.

Red Hill fire tower

Catskills Visitor Center (CVC): in Mt. Tremper, NY is open from 9:30-4:00 pm every day except Tuesday including newly installed exhibits, maps, information, and a gift shop. A fire tower is located on the property as well as nature trails. Call the Visitor Center at 845-688-3369 or email info@catskillcenter.org. Visitor Center trails are open from dawn to dusk.

DEC Notices: A burn ban is in effect from March 16 through May 14. Backyard fire pits and campfires less than three feet in height and four feet in length, width, or diameter are allowed. Small cooking fires are allowed, but only charcoal or dry, clean, untreated, or unpainted wood can be burned. Never leave nay fire unattended.

Hunting Season Notices: Regular hunting season has ended, however, some small game is still in season.  Please review the DEC hunting season map for specific information.

Fishing Season Notices: 

  1. From October 16th to March 31st, trout fishing is permitted for catch and release only. Valid fishing licenses and artificial lures are required.
  2. From April 1st to October 15th, trout fishing is permitted for harvesting with a valid fishing license. Three fish are allowed per day, with one over 12″.

Trail Register Information: (the books found inside metal boxes at the start of all hiking trails): The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation encourages all visitors to continue to sign in and out at trail registers. These provide important information on trail usage and hiker safety.

Seasonal Roads and Trailhead Closures: The following are seasonal roads and are not maintained during winter months and are generally closed from November to April 15th of each year:

Temporary Closures: The following destinations are closed in the Catskills. For any information or clarification, please feel free to call (845) 688-3369 or email info@catskillcenter.org:

– DEC has temporarily stopped issuing permits for backcountry camping for groups of 10 or more (link to: the DEC’s website). As of June 11, the DEC resumed issuing permits for groups of fewer than 10 people who would like to stay for more than three nights at one location on state lands. DEC is also temporarily restricting lean-to use to members of a single household at a time.

Doubletop and Graham Access: As of Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 public access to the two peaks, Doubletop and Graham Mountain ended. We at Catskill Center are thankful to the landowners who have made their property accessible to hikers for many years and respect their decision. The Catskill 3500′ Club has decided that the remaining 33 peaks will make up the collection of Catskill mountains to be hiked for membership of the club.

Winter Hiking Tips:

– Trekking poles, boots, and traction devices are useful for traction and stability. Gaiters keep dirt, snow, and ticks out of your boots. Finish each hike or excursion outdoors with a thorough tick check if the temperature is above 32 degrees F.

– Winter brings with it slick and hard to see trails. Make sure to take your time on these trails to avoid personal injury. Be sure to plan your route and bring a map with you.

– Keep a close eye and ear to encroaching weather and morning frost and prepare by bringing rain gear and warm layers on all hikes. Consider bringing a water filter on longer hikes. Remember that temperatures will be significantly colder with greater snow/ice accumulation at higher elevations. 

– Temperatures are frequently below freezing overnight. Bringing a full clothing layering system with you in your pack is essential for day hikes and overnight hikes. This includes non-cotton layers, a warm hat, gloves, and a “puffy” – an insulated jacket that’s easy to take on and off throughout your hike. Be sure and try to stay as dry as possible, wet layers can bring down your temperature. Changing into dry layers during your hike can help keep you warm.

– For more cold weather hiking tips as well as suggestions of places to rent or purchase foot traction devices as well as snowshoes, please visit the Catskills Visitor Center’s website here.

Carry It In, Carry It Out: The Catskill Park is a carry it in, carry it out park—please be sure to hike out all of your trash and dispose of it properly! Note that most trails will not have any garbage receptacles. Always be prepared to take any garbage back in your car with you.  

Weather: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions in the Catskills. Stay current with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast. The NY Mesonet has stations in and just outside of Catskills that provide real time weather data and forecasts. Hudson Valley Weather provides detailed forecasts for the Hudson Valley and the Catskills.

In An Emergency: Report backcountry emergencies, such as lost or injured hikers and forest fires to the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-408-5850 or call 911.

The Congressman Maurice D. Hinchey Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) hosts a weather station in the MesoWest Network. Check the current weather conditions. The Center is located at 5096 Route 28 in Mt Tremper, NY. The Visitor Center building is open from 9:30 am-4:00 pm Trails open from dawn to dusk. The CVC does require masks upon entry to the building and please remember to socially distance when visiting the trails by giving other visitors 6 feet minimum distance and wearing a mask when you meet others.

Email us at the Catskills Visitor Center: info@catskillcenter.org, or call us at (845) 688-3369. The Center’s online store carries trail maps, trail guides, and more for purchase.

Most Recent Trail Update | NYSDEC Catskill Backcountry Info | CVC Online Gift Shop

#CatskillsVisitorCenter #CatskillsTrailConditions #CatskillsHiking #CatskillTrailConditions #CatskillsMountains

3-day forecast

Mount Tremper NY
Clear
54°F
Forecast October 2, 2022
day
Mostly cloudy
60°F
night
Mostly cloudy
41°F
Forecast October 3, 2022
day
Intermittent clouds
60°F
night
Partly cloudy
40°F
Forecast October 4, 2022
day
Mostly cloudy
60°F
night
Partly cloudy
42°F