Weekend of February 25th

Last updated: February 24, 2021

The region has seen some warmer temperatures this week, and the coming weekend should also see daytime temperatures above freezing. With so much snow left on trails from winter storms this year, hikers should prepare with snowshoes and waterproof equipment, including hiking boots, gaiters, and water-resistant pants. Stay safe, consider alternate plans, and please continue to follow New York State and CDC regulations before traveling.

Trail Conditions: Trails will have plenty of leftover snow this weekend. Hikers should expect a top layer of soft, wet snow after above freezing temperatures this week and a 60% chance of rain on Saturday. This may make for more challenging walking, as soft snow will give easier underfoot. Don’t forget to bring snowshoes, as they will keep trails in good, safe condition for walking. Micro spikes are still important to have as well for sections of ice on trails at all elevations.

Many trails throughout the Park are well-packed for snowshoeing, just keep in mind they will be wet after warm temperatures and rain this week.

Weekend Weather Forecast (reporting for Mt. Tremper, NY): Friday, sunny with a high near 43. Calm wind 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Friday night, a slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Partly cloudy with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Saturday, snow likely before 10am, then rain likely. Mostly cloudy with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Saturday night, mostly cloudy with a low around 33. Sunday, partly sunny with a high near 48. Sunday night, a chance of snow after 1am. Mostly cloudy with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%. (Source: National Weather Service, NOAA)

New Trail up Red Hill Fire Tower: A new trail up to Red Hill Fire Tower in the Town of Denning is a collaboration between the DEP and the DEC, and built by Tahawus Trails. The trail is blue-blazed and is 2 miles one-way from the new parking area on Denning Road. The new parking area offers 10 parking spaces and increases ease of access to the Red Hill Fire Tower for hikers. Learn more on the Catskills Visitor Center’s website here.

Trail Register Information: (the books found inside metal boxes at the start of all hiking trails): The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation encourages all visitors to continue to sign in and out at trail registers. These provide important information on trail usage and hiker safety. It is suggested to choose one person in your group to fill in the register for everyone, consider bringing your own pen or pencil, and bring hand sanitizer to use before and after touching the trail register.

Catskill Center is Hiring! If you’re passionate about protecting the Catskills, take a look at the Catskill Center’s jobs page. We’re currently hiring for both seasonal and full-time positions (Catskill Stewards and more): https://catskillcenter.org/opportunities

Temporary Closures: The following destinations are closed in the Catskills. For any information or clarification, please feel free to call (845) 688-3369 or email info@catskillcenter.org:

– The building of the Catskills Visitor Center in Mt. Tremper, NY is currently closed, however a window service on the side porch is available for visitor information from 10-3, every day except Wednesday. Staff is answering phone calls at 845-688-3369. Visitor Center trails are open.

– Seasonal access roads across the Catskills are closed and unmaintained for the winter months.

– DEC has temporarily stopped issuing permits for backcountry camping for groups of 10 or more (link to: the DEC’s website). As of June 11, the DEC resumed issuing permits for groups of fewer than 10 people who would like to stay for more than three nights at one location on state lands. DEC is also temporarily restricting lean-to use to members of a single household at a time.

Doubletop and Graham Access: As of Wednesday, January 13th public access to the two peaks Doubletop and Graham Mountain has ended. We at Catskill Center are thankful to the landowners who have made their property accessible to hikers for many years and respect their decision. The Catskill 3500′ Club decided on January 31st 2021 that starting on “March 22nd (the first day of spring), the Club tally list will consist of 33 peaks versus the current 35. The four winter climb requirement will remain as is. With Doubletop and Graham permanently closed to public access, we concluded that we will not continue with the current substitutions of South Doubletop and Millbrook Ridge after 3/21. That decision to not add in two other peaks may surprise some of you, but, after much discussion, the vote was unanimous.” (Source: the Catskill 3500′ Club website)

Peekamoose Blue Hole: No permits are required at this time. DEC permits are required to visit this site on weekends and holidays from May 15 – September 13. Permits are available as late as one day in advance, but more no more than seven days in advance. Permits can be acquired from the Reserve America website at: https://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com

Hiking Tips to Prepare for Winter:

– Trails can get more slick, slippery and unpredictable during the winter months due to ice, snow, and wet surfaces. Bring traction devices for your feet, and trekking poles for your hands to aid in safe travel.

– Due to snow, think about bringing things like waterproof hiking boots, gaiters, snowshoes, and trekking poles. Follow best Leave No Trace practices by walking through the midline of mud and snow on trails instead of walking around these areas.

– Temperatures are getting lower, especially overnight temperatures. Bringing a full clothing layering system with you in your pack is essential for day hikes or overnight hikes. This includes noncotton layers, warm hat and gloves, and a “puffy” – an insulated jacket that’s easy to take on and off throughout your hike.

As always, bring a mask, even on the trails. While hiking with the people you live with, wearing a mask is not mandatory. However, while on summits, trailheads, points of interest, and even passing others please wear a mask to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Especially in areas such as parking lots and trailheads, there has been a reduction in people actively wearing masks. The continued use of masks in these areas is incredibly important for the general the health and safety of all in the Catskills.

Recreate Responsibly: An informative set of guidelines put together by several outdoor organizations. The Catskill Center recommends following the Recreate Responsibly principles and taking precautions before, during, and after your outing to decrease your chance of exposure to COVID-19.

Carry It In, Carry It Out: The Catskill Park is a carry it in, carry it out park—please be sure to hike out all of your trash and dispose of it properly!

Weather: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions in the Catskills. Stay current with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast. The NY Mesonet has stations in and just outside of Catskills that provide real time weather data and forecasts. Hudson Valley Weather provides detailed forecasts for the Hudson Valley and the Catskills.

In An Emergency: Report backcountry emergencies, such as lost or injured hikers and forest fires to the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-408-5850 or call 911.

The Congressman Maurice D. Hinchey Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) hosts a weather station in the MesoWest Network. Check the current weather conditions. The Center is located at 5096 Route 28 in Mt Tremper, NY. The Visitor Center building is currently closed, however trails remain open. Please remember to socially distance when visiting the CVC’s trails by giving other visitors 6 feet minimum distance and wearing a mask when you meet others.

Email us at the Catskills Visitor Centerinfo@catskillcenter.org, or call us at (845) 688-3369.

The Center’s online store carries trail mapstrail guides and more for purchase.

Most Recent Trail Update | NYSDEC Catskill Backcountry Info | CVC Online Gift Shop

3-day forecast

Mount Tremper NY
Clear
55°F
Forecast September 28, 2022
day
Partly sunny with showers
68°F
night
Intermittent clouds
45°F
Forecast September 29, 2022
day
Mostly sunny
64°F
night
Clear
39°F
Forecast September 30, 2022
day
Mostly sunny
63°F
night
Intermittent clouds
45°F