The summertime heat is coming back to the Catskills this weekend. Trails are dry and in good shape, however, keep an eye open for scattered thunderstorms this weekend. Be sure to stick to trails and walk directly through mud puddles to reduce trail widening impacts.
Trail Conditions: The Catskills have had mild temperatures and little precipitation recently, making the trails dry and in overall good shape. Expect some muddy sections in wet areas, and rain with scattered thunderstorms this weekend. Prepare for your hike with boots, ankle gaiters, and trekking poles to ensure easy travel through the middle of muddy sections.
Weekend Weather Forecast (reporting for Mt. Tremper, NY): Friday, patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 86. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the morning. Friday Night, partly cloudy, with a low around 64. Light southwest wind. Saturday, a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Saturday Night, a chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Sunday, a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Sunday Night, chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 30%. (Source: National Weather Service, NOAA)
Trail Register Information: (the books found inside metal boxes at the start of all hiking trails): The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation encourages all visitors to continue to sign in and out at trail registers. These provide important information on trail usage and hiker safety. It is suggested to choose one person in your group to fill in the register for everyone, consider bringing your own pen or pencil, and bring hand sanitizer to use before and after touching the trail register.
Temporary Closures: The following destinations are closed in the Catskills. For any information or clarification, please feel free to call (845) 688-3369 or email email@example.com:
– The building of the Catskills Visitor Center in Mt. Tremper, NY is currently closed, however a window service on the side porch is available for visitor information from 9:30-4, every day. Staff is answering phone calls at 845-688-3369. Visitor Center trails are open. Over the weekend the Upper Esopus Fire Tower Cab is open to the public during open hours.
– DEC has temporarily stopped issuing permits for backcountry camping for groups of 10 or more (link to: the DEC’s website). As of June 11, the DEC resumed issuing permits for groups of fewer than 10 people who would like to stay for more than three nights at one location on state lands. DEC is also temporarily restricting lean-to use to members of a single household at a time.
*511NY road closure map (updated daily)
*Catskills Trail Conditions Facebook Group (updated regularly by locals and visitors to the area)
*Catskills 3500′ Club Facebook homepage with updates
Doubletop and Graham Access: As of Wednesday, January 13th 2021 public access to the two peaks, Doubletop and Graham Mountain has ended. We at Catskill Center are thankful to the landowners who have made their property accessible to hikers for many years and respect their decision. The Catskill 3500′ Club has decided that the remaining 33 peaks will make up the collection of Catskill mountains to be hiked for membership of the club.
Peekamoose Blue Hole: Permits are required every day during the week to access the entirety of the Peekamoose Valley Riparian Corridor. This includes day hike access to Peekamoose and Table Mountains, camping, access to the Blue Hole, and Buttermilk Falls. DEC permits are required to visit this site from May 15 – September 15. Permits can be acquired from the Reserve America website at: https://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com
Summertime Hiking Tips:
– Trekking poles, boots, and gaiters are useful to keep dirt and ticks out of your boots. Finish each hike or excursion outdoors with a thorough tick check.
– Summer brings the hot, hot, heat. Prep for your hike with plenty of water (at least two liters). Consider bringing a water filter on longer hikes.
– The warm weather of summer can bring with it random and isolated thunderstorms in the Catskills. Keep a close eye and ear to encroaching weather and prepare by bringing rain gear on all hikes.
– Temperatures can still get quite cold overnight. Bringing a full clothing layering system with you in your pack is essential for day hikes and overnight hikes. This includes noncotton layers, warm hat, gloves, and a “puffy” – an insulated jacket that’s easy to take on and off throughout your hike.
Recreate Responsibly: An informative new set of guidelines put together by several outdoor organizations. The Catskill Center recommends following the Recreate Responsibly principles and taking precautions before, during, and after your outing.
Carry It In, Carry It Out: The Catskill Park is a carry it in, carry it out park—please be sure to hike out all of your trash and dispose of it properly!
Weather: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions in the Catskills. Stay current with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast. The NY Mesonet has stations in and just outside of Catskills that provide real time weather data and forecasts. Hudson Valley Weather provides detailed forecasts for the Hudson Valley and the Catskills.
In An Emergency: Report backcountry emergencies, such as lost or injured hikers and forest fires to the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-408-5850 or call 911.
The Congressman Maurice D. Hinchey Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) hosts a weather station in the MesoWest Network. Check the current weather conditions. The Center is located at 5096 Route 28 in Mt Tremper, NY. The Visitor Center building is currently closed, however trails remain open. Please remember to socially distance when visiting the CVC’s trails by giving other visitors 6 feet minimum distance and wearing a mask when you meet others.
Email us at the Catskills Visitor Center: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (845) 688-3369.
The Center’s online store carries trail maps, trail guides and more for purchase.
Most Recent Trail Update | NYSDEC Catskill Backcountry Info | CVC Online Gift Shop